USS Earle B. Hall
The USS Earle. B. Hall was launched on March 1, 1944 as a Destroyer Escort DE-597 in Hingham Mass.
On July 17, 1944 she was reclassified as a high speed transport APD-107 and commissioned on May 15, 1945.
She reached San Diego on 17 August, 1945 and sailed to Pearl Harbor, reaching Hawaii on 12 September 1945.
She arrived at Okinawa on 28 september 1945. She then sailed to Wakanoura Bay, below Osaka, arriving on 14 December 1945. On 25 February 1946 she put to sea and called on Eniwetok, Pearl Harbor, and San Francisco on her way to Boston where she arrived on 9 April 1946.
On September 27, 1946 in May Port, FL. she was placed out of commission for the first time.
Four years later the Hall was commissioned for the second time on December 7, 1950 at Jacksonville, FL. and sailed to her new port in Norfolk, Va. On 29 May 1951 she departed for a 3-month northern cruise supplying such outpost as Grondal, Greenland. After returning to Norfolk, she trained Marines in amphibious warfare off Onslo Beach, NC. And the Caribbean basin. On 22 April 1953 she sailed for a Mediterranean tour with the 6th fleet, returning 26 October 1953. Local operations off the Virginia Capes alternated with two cruises to Key West, Florida and Havana, Cuba and Marien amphibious exercises in the Caribbean until 17 June 1955 when she sailed to the Azores, Lisbon, and Cadiz on a midshipman’s cruise, returning to Norfolk, on 15 July 1955. The remainder of her service was spent on the East coast and training in the Caribbean. After seven years of service she was once again placed out of commission on September 13, 1957.
Four years later on November 29, 1961 the Hall was commissioned for the last time at Little Creek, VA. On 13 April 1962 and 14 April 1962 she was observed by President John F. Kennedy during a two-day visit to Norfolk. Following the Presidential visit she sailed to Vieques, Puerto Rico, to take part in a three-week joint Navy - Marine Corps maneuver involving some 83 Atlantic Fleet ships that was climaxed with an assault on Vieques. Then came the Cuban Missile crisis. A period of tension as President Kennedy ordered the quarantine of Cuba. The period of service provided by Earle B. Hall was from 10 October 1962 until being released on 7 December 1962. During the fall of 1964 a major engineering fault occurred. At 2 AM and steaming on #1 boiler the Hall lost all power. That, as it turned out, was the final blow to the distinguished service of the Earle B. Hall. On November 30, 1964 the USS Kirwin APD-90 was towed to Little Creek and placed at pier 17 along side the Hall and underwent fleet activation and was taken over by the crew of the USS Earle B. Hall. The crew of the Hall worked to get the Kirwin ready for duty, and on January 15, 1965 at 10 AM. The USS Kirwin was commissioned at the same time the Hall was decommissioned.
The USS Kirwin was originally commissioned as a Destroyer Escort DE-229 and was reclassified as a high speed transport APD-90 and commissioned on November 4, 1945.
On April 6, 1946 the USS Kirwin was taken out of service until used to replace the Hall on January 15, 1965.
On February 2, 1965 the USS Earle B. Hall was stricken from the ships roster and later destroyed.
In 1969 the USS Kirwin was also taken out of service for the last time and on September 15, 1974 she was stricken from the records and sold for scrap metal.
Webmaster: William Petrusky 2008